Tom Stearns and Stearns Associates, LLC
D. Thomas Stearns
Tom Stearns has 30 years of experience as a land planner and landscape architect. Before founding Stearns Associates, he was a Studio Principal with Hillier in Princeton, NJ where he worked for 16 years and was Director of Hillier’s Land Planning Studio.
His background includes a range of commercial, institutional and residential project types. Commercial projects include corporate, office, research and development, industrial, retail and mixed-use.
Institutional projects include health care, higher education and K-12. He has worked nationally and internationally for some of the most respected developers, corporations and institutions.
Mr. Stearns understands how project planning and design must respond to market conditions, physical and environmental constraints, and financial and operational objectives, while not compromising the design integrity. His success over the years has been based on listening to his clients, being responsive and meeting their expectations for design, schedule and budget.
Mr. Stearns is a licensed professional planner and landscape architect. Through his extensive experience, he is familiar with federal, state and local land use regulations and knows what it takes to get a project through the governmental approval process.
He brings a design philosophy to planning and landscape architecture that explores historical precedent, theory and strong architectural ideas.
Tom Stearns' 30 years of experience brings to clients:
• Experience in collaboration with other professionals and many notable architects
• Knowledge of the land development, approvals, and building process with an emphasis on large, complex, and fast-tracked projects
• Over 12 million square feet of corporate and investment offices constructed, and 8 million square feet approved
•Experience with estate homes, single family and multi-family developments including mixed-use and new urbanism for regional and national home builders
• Diverse experience across a wide variety of project types and locales, both national and international
• A portfolio of significant planning and executed landscape architectural projects
• Experience with sustainable design including: LEED process, low impact development techniques, intensive green roofs, and constructed wetlands
• A design philosophy that respects the site and its history yet is balanced by clear, strong architectural ideas
• Expediency, responsiveness and personal service
• Adherence to schedule and budget
Pennsylvania State University, BS Landscape Architecture
Ball State University, Graduate Studies, Business and Architecture
New York University, Diploma Program in Real Estate Investment and Analysis
Rutgers University, Graduate Studies, Planning Law
Princeton University, Studies in Architectural History and Theory
Professional Planner: New Jersey
AICP American Institute of Certified Planners
Landscape Architect: NJ, NY, CT, PA, DE, MD, OH, KY, KS, NC
Certified Landscape Architect NJ 21AS00051200
Licensed Professional Planner NJ 33LI00509600
Grever & Ward, Buffalo, NY
Landplus West, Indianapolis, IN
HOK, Dallas, TX
Thomas Balsley Associates, New York, NY
Mark Morrison Associates, New York, NY
CUH2A, Princeton, NJ
Hillier, Princeton, NJ
Stearns Associates, LLC
American Society of Landscape Architects
American Planning Association
American Institute of Certified Planners
National Association of Home Builders
New Jersey Builders Association
Community Builders Association
Green Roofs for Healthy Cities
US Green Building Council (USGBC)
NJ Green Building Council (NJGBC)
Delaware Valley Green Building Council (DVGBC)